• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Terraining Contest #15 - Theme Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Idea for new terraining contest

I got a really smart idea for the 15th terraining contest here on Hive.

Contestants should recreate a moment from the history of Azeroth. Every single event that you can find is included, if you have proper documentation about it. Your event can be anything, from the battle of Mount Hyjal, to Deathwing's raid on Stormwind, maybe even Sargeras slaying hordes of demons.

Points should mostly go for execution, and less for the idea.

So, if anyone likes the idea, please say it so I would make a detailed post about it.

No idea if there's already any threads about this but let's just get the ball rolling anyways. Seeing as the previous contest had a pretty big delay in actually finding a theme, it'd obviously be good to get that done ahead of time this time around.

So, ideas:

- Song interpretation - you get a song / find a song and then have to make a terrain about that song, i.e., interpret that song into the terrain

-Castle - well, make a castle - would definitely be a good one to see some quite cool stuff (hopefully)

-Futuristic - go away from the WC3 universe and away to outer space - I guess this would be worth a shot if enough people are actually keen for it

-Natural Landmark - kind of similar to the world wonders, but instead recreate either a real world landmark (e.g., Black Tusk) or a fictional world landmark (e.g., Mt Caradhras) or an imaginary natural landmark (e.g., the giant wooded three pronged trident mountain of Tyruarl)

-Your idea here!

- Also, the potentiality of this being a playable contest is still up on the table I think, seeing as it was the 5th/10th last time around. IMO, Castle would be a definitely extremely good one for doing playable.
So go and discuss, children.

And of course I offer my judging once again.

Level 36
I've got no real suggestions this time around, only opinions to put on the table.

For one, I'd like to voice against playable, simply because I do not like it for contest purposes, yet I can see how my opinion on the matter doesn't really matter much at all :p

One idea that I'd like to see, though, is co-terraining. Having a contest where two contestants has to come together and do a terrain collaborative. I can see how this is easily cheated in, however, but still. I find it interesting.

Level 14
Matija97 said it, just wanted to move it to the right place :)

I got a really smart idea for the 15th terraining contest here on Hive.

Contestants should recreate a moment from the history of Azeroth. Every single event that you can find is included, if you have proper documentation about it. Your event can be anything, from the battle of Mount Hyjal, to Deathwing's raid on Stormwind, maybe even Sargeras slaying hordes of demons.

Points should mostly go for execution, and less for the idea.

So, if anyone likes the idea, please say it so I would make a detailed post about it.

I like the idea though

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Oziris and I are doing the song interpretation for that legendary arena event Pharao's hosting, so I wouldn't attend that on principle. I'm not going to be a roadblock and run you all down a ditch though, so if we end up hosting this I'd gladly pick up the slack on the judging side.
-Castle - well, make a castle - would definitely be a good one to see some quite cool stuff (hopefully)
Almost disgustingly simplistic, but hell, for once I actually see the point in hosting a crowd-pulling terraining equivalent of a blockbuster.
-Your idea here!
Actually, for the sheer hell of hushing up the topic, let's try a "no import," or "UTM only," caption.
See what kind of responses we get for it.

Just putting it out there.

Oziris and I are doing the song interpretation for that legendary arena event Pharao's hosting, so I wouldn't attend that on principle. I'm not going to be a roadblock and run you all down a ditch though, so if we end up hosting this I'd gladly pick up the slack on the judging side.

Almost disgustingly simplistic, but hell, for once I actually see the point in hosting a crowd-pulling terraining equivalent of a blockbuster.

Actually, for the sheer hell of hushing up the topic, let's try a "no import," or "UTM only," caption.
See what kind of responses we get for it.

Just putting it out there.

i'm not quite sure about the song interpretation anyway because i imagine it'd be quite controversial. if you got the right songs you could interpret it anyway at all and, on a large scale, it'd probably not really work out.
yeah the castle is quite simple, but i've noted a definite lack of mindblowingly awesome castles though. There's good ones, but no truly great ones.
and as you noted, terraining is kind of dying out. It'd be good to pull some people back in.

mmmhmmhm, no import, I don't like the idea of that really. once upon a time I was also of a mind that no import terrains are awesome (they definitely still can be) but by now, imports in huge amounts are so well accepted that it'd be almost strange to have none. but a UTM only caption could work out quite well I think.

histories of azeroth - yeahh that could worrrrk potentially. as long as the events pass a certain threshold of importance, it definitely could (otherwise you could just say shit like, here's arthas building a village in the 3rd human campaign mission. he's the little speck there and thats his village).

Level 14
If I may give a suggestion I browsed through the other terraining contests and I think nobody did a playable terrain, all was done from certain camera views. How about a terraining contest where you get to explore the terrain with a unit or something. Whatever the theme may be.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
If I may give a suggestion I browsed through the other terraining contests and I think nobody did a playable terrain, all was done from certain camera views. How about a terraining contest where you get to explore the terrain with a unit or something. Whatever the theme may be.
5th and 10th were playable.

Nowadays? Not recommended. Far as I'm concerned there's bellyache in every directions: appointing judges to go over and review every single entry, what criteria to entail, pulling a big enough crowd to make it worthwhile, etc.

To some, a playable terraining contest would fundamentally be indistinguishable from an ordinary mapping contest.

Level 14
Isn't this the point to all contests. To make it appealing to many more people while not making it judged for a screenshot that takes, what...5 minutes?
Still if you did it at 5th and 10th( and now its 15th ;0 ) got some nice results. I really am not sure how contest of making a good screenshot is classified as 'terrain' playable or not.
As a user who just started browsing older contests I got confused by terraining contests having an angled screenshot for result xX.

Anyway I would then suggest also a sci-fy futuristic theme. How about City of the Future.

Level 28

My entry on terraining contest ~BLUE~ is actually playable. >:C

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Still if you did it at 5th and 10th( and now its 15th ;0 ) got some nice results.
We simply had a bigger crowd back then.
Isn't this the point to all contests.
Bellyache? Seems so. We just have to settle between appendicitis and being constipated from last night's mexican take-out.
while not making it judged for a screenshot that takes, what...5 minutes?
If you're implying terraining, conceptual or otherwise, has any sort of bearing on the time it takes you to draw up a rough sketch, I daresay you have a grave misunderstanding of art. Or you're not serious about it to begin with.

Devil's in the details, and we can definitely rely on that.
I really am not sure how contest of making a good screenshot is classified as 'terrain' playable or not.
Because it fundamentally only touches the terrain editor.

See below.
As a user who just started browsing older contests I got confused by terraining contests having an angled screenshot for result xX.
If a terraining contest has gameplay elements it is indistinguishable from a mapping contest. If it doesn't have gameplay elements, there's literally no point in submitting a full map since the judging would be placed on the aesthetic side anyways.

If the only thing aching at you, is, that you don't want to consider the map waste when you're done with the screenshot, then by all means; make it playable. Just submit a screenshot that you're particularly happy with.

Just wondering but what about a terrain contest which requires you to make a skyline??? Like the skyline of New York it would be hard, challenging, and i guess difficult. *Might take long though i don't know*
Tried it long ago. It was painful.

Level 4
Hmm..... may I suggest thinking a bit more advanced for a unique type of contest that is fun for all terrainers which will allow them to do anything they want instead of being limited to what you say "playable"? If you don't use any doodads and all destructibles it will be playable no matter what it is. I think this would be the coolest thing for the #15 terraining contest. What I hint towards is the useage of a physics system so you can make anything you want instead of another basic melee map or something. Just no doodads though if you like this idea for doodads can't be interacted with.

21293229.jpg

:ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 28
@Dat-3C, you said you hate terraining and now you keep arguing how the terrain contest should be...

All I am saying is that your terrain could be used for so much more and would help coders/triggerers like me

Oh so your motive is to use the terrain that we'll make after we finish it... cool.

If we terrainers want to help someone on their project we will contact them instead.

I dislike terraining due to it being boring

Then why are you here?

If you want to have a good terrain for your map, why don't you practice? You know you won't lose anything if you try.

Level 14
Has the recreation of famous (or not so much) places (nature and others, deserts, snapshots of natural enviroment etc) been considered ? Altho it would lack creativity because the view is set it would be interesting and fresh.
For example
Ohanapecosh+River,+Mt.+Rainier+National+Park,+Washington.jpg

the contest judge would point out 20-30 pictures from which the contestants would choose for their work (or everyone's unique choice is their decision)

Deleted member 212788

D

Deleted member 212788

Can a Temple/Sanctum be considered as a castle? Why not instead of castle, make it royal scene?

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I, for one, think the chances of this ever being hosted is growing dimmer with the amount of people who are actively terraining.

There's also the part where we have no terrain moderator, and no one active enough really qualified for the position as I see it.

Actually though, gotta say it might be fun watching who picks up the slack now that Keiji, M0rbid and I won't.

Level 36
There's also the part where we have no terrain moderator, and no one active enough really qualified for the position as I see it.

Actually though, gotta say it might be fun watching who picks up the slack now that Keiji, M0rbid and I won't.

Yeah, considering the fact that the "hierarchy" won't have a moderator solely for the Terrain Board doesn't at all entice any terrainer I'd vouch for to come forth and do the job. Seems the only kind of moderator there'll be these days are "Resource Moderators," now finding a moderator versed in both terraining and... Say, skinning or modelling would be a long shot, especially since the only one coming to my mind has left the site in relation to a dispute formerly conducted, shamefully enough.

We'll either never have one, in which case I'm sure Pharao will likely host a Terrain Contest or two, or we'll have some form of half-ass/half-wit moderator knowing nothing in terms of the fine art of Terraining.
- I see a glorious future for us few terrainers left.

Level 36
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.