• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

The Fading Town

Level 36
Helloy,

Because I apparently can't stop paying homage to my favorite game, Hollow Knight, I've done another tribute, this time inspired by pretty much the first place you visit in the game: Dirtmouth.

"Feeling tired? That bench may be iron, but I assure you it's quite comfortable. There's no better place to collect your thoughts before heading below."
- Elderbug, Hollow Knight.

~enjoy.

Dirtmouth.png

And yes, for anyone wondering: The lamp and bench are made up of several tiny doodads stuck together thought painstaking fiddling with pitch and roll and general fidgeting with placement and height. Here's some closeups if anyone's interested:

Bench.pngLamp.png

I highly recommend listening to this while enjoying this:

Last edited:
Honestly this reminds me of Morrowind more than Hollow Knight.

Morrowind: https://i.neoseeker.com/u/k/49/my-redoran-house.jpg
Hollow Knight: https://www.godisageek.com/wp-content/uploads/new-hollow-knight-screen-gameplay.jpg

I appreciate the effort done in the lamp post and the chair. I can't tell from afar if the structures are also handmade, my guess is they are because I've never seen that before.

- My only complaint is the ground texture is a a bit repetitive, it needed something to hide the repeating textures. Windows/lighting to the doors/side of the buildings could have also used Talavaj's circular windows (from modular pack), it would have worked as an additional lighting in the scene.

The entire scene looks great nonetheless.

Last edited:
Level 36
Not too surprising that it makes you think of Morrowind, those models are from that game, I found them in the ported models section.

I appreciate the effort done in the lamp post and the chair. I can't tell from afar if the structures are also handmade, my guess is they are because I've never seen that before.

<3

The structures aren't terribly modular, but I did fool around with some angles and stairs and stuff, but yeah no. They aren't over-modulated like I usually do my structures, I think I've gotten lazy :p

My only complaint is the ground texture is a a bit repetitive, it needed something to hide the repeating textures. Windows/lighting to the doors/side of the buildings could have also used Talavaj's circular windows (from modular pack), it would have worked as an additional lighting in the scene.

Believe me, I did a lot to try to make it less repetitive, adding cracks, vines, rubble, fooling around with the lighting. It was way more repetitive in the beginning, but I get your point and I agree, I might have another spin at it if I pick up the map again. And in regards to lighting, I kind of wanted to paint a bit of a darker image, like how Dirtmouth looks when you first arrive there, hauntingly silent and ominous with an air of melancholy loneliness.

But maybe that window idea isn't so bad. Again, if I pick it up, maybe I'll see if I can make that work.

The entire scene looks great nonetheless.

Thank you! And thank you a lot for taking the time to give me some ideas and thoughts, it is absolutely appreciated ^^

Last edited: